The OELMA Scholarship is awarded to an Ohio resident enrolled in an accredited library school program, who's pursuing certification in school library/media. This scholarship is intended to help defray educational costs for future library media specialists as they complete their studies.
The OELMA Scholarship recipient receives a $500 stipend and a framed commemorative certificate. The Scholarship honoree will be recognized during OELMA’s Awards Event at the Annual Conference. The recipient’s name will be posted on the Scholarship & Awards section of OELMA’s Web page and announced via OELMA’s E-mail list.
OELMA’s Scholarship & Awards Committee is charged with reviewing applications for all Association awards. The Scholarship and Awards Committee is comprised of a representative from each OELMA Region, the Immediate Past President, and the Scholarship and Awards Chair, who is appointed by the President. Although this Committee makes award recommendations, OELMA’s Board of Directors makes the final decision at the May Board meeting.
The OELMA Scholarship recipient will be selected from applicants and nominees who meet the following criteria:
- OELMA membership is preferred, but not required;
- Is a permanent Ohio resident, who can demonstrate financial need;
- Enrollment as a full-time or part-time student at an accredited library program, leading to school library media certification and/or a library graduate degree; and
- Evidence of a commitment to a career in school librarianship.
Application packets should include the following materials:
- Completed OELMA Scholarship & Awards Program Application Form;
- Official transcript from the college or university in which the applicant is enrolled;
- Nomination letter, which explains how the applicant meets scholarship selection criteria; and
- Letter of support providing specific evidence of the applicant’s commitment to a career in school librarianship.
All application materials must be submitted to the OELMA Office in a single packet via one of these methods:
- Hand-deliver the Awards submission materials to the OELMA Office by 5 p.m. April 15;
- Mail the Awards submission materials, which must be postmarked by 5 p.m. April 15; or
- Online at www.oelma.org by 5 p.m. April 15 (You will be able to upload supporting submission material to the online form)
Late materials will not be accepted.