Beginning in May 2013, OELMA’s President Susan Yutzey, initiated Media Center Spotlight. Media Center Spotlight is a blog featured on the OELMA website that focuses on library media specialists and school library media centers around the state. Beyond photos and an interview, at some point Media Center Spotlight would like to feature short video clips of library media specialists in action.
On Friday, May 17, 2013, Susan visited Gayle Dill at Fairview Park High School, Yvonne Morbitzer at Rocky River High School, Jen Flaherty at Beachwood High School, and Angela Maxwell at Hilltop Elementary School. Although the spotlight was on Rocky River High School’s renovated Media Center, Yutzey had an opportunity to see Beachwood High School’s new library/ media center under
construction and talked with Flaherty about a 9th-grade collaborative research project that focuses on Billy Joel’s We Didn’t Start the Fire (http://www.livebinders.com/play/play?id=881499) and saw the students in action. In addition, Yutzey visited Hilltop Elementary School and library media specialist Angela Maxwell. Friday marked Hilltop’s final day of Frances Kimmelman’s Right to Read Week celebration – Read like a Rock Star. Dressed as a rock star diva, Maxwell was busy preparing for the afternoon’s assembly.
The Media Center Spotlight Toolkit includes the following:
- Schedule a Visit – complete this form and Susan will e-mail you to schedule a visit. If you wish Susan to visit several schools in either your school district or geographic area, please note this on the form.
- Release Form for Photographs – most schools require a district release form for each student. The OELMA Release Form for Photographs is in addition to the school district’s release form. If for example, there is a specific class activity that you wish Susan to observe and photograph than have students and their parents or guardians complete and sign the form ahead of time.
- Letter to your principal – a sample letter to your principal explaining the purpose of the visit. Susan will personalize the letter on OELMA letterhead and e-mail it to you so that you can give it to your principal.
- Sample Press Release for OELMA visit – the sample press release may be used to promote OELMA’s visit.
- Sample questions – the sample questions can help give focus to the interview and help uncover some of the exciting things you are doing in your library/media center.
Media Center Spotlight is intended to serve as a showcase for library/media centers in Ohio as well as a virtual professional development tool. From the comfort of your library/media center, you will be able to see what your colleagues around Ohio are doing and contact them to learn more about their resources, lesson plans, etc.
- May- Rocky River HS
- September – Mariemont High School
- October – Orange School District, Kenston High School, Mount Vernon Middle School
- November – Brunswick City Schools, Medina City Schools