2016 Award Recipient:
Brynn Dean, Library Media Specialist
The J. Allen Oakum Scholarship is awarded to an Ohio resident enrolled in an accredited library school program, who is pursuing licensure in school library/media. This scholarship is intended to help defray educational costs for future library media specialists as they complete their studies.
The J. Allen Oakum Scholarship was established in 1985 through the philanthropy of the late J. Allen Oakum, an OELMA Past President. The Scholarship recipient receives a $500 stipend and a framed commemorative certificate. The honoree will be recognized during the Awards Program at OELMA’s 2017 Annual Conference. The scholarship recipient’s name will be announced via OELMA’s email list and posted on the Awards/Scholarship section of OELMA’s webpage.
OELMA’s Awards Strategic Committee is charged with reviewing applications for all Association awards. The Committee is comprised of four OELMA members approved by the OELMA Board, Immediate Past President, Co-chairs of the Awards Strategic Committee approved by the OELMA Board, and the Director Liaison to Awards. The OELMA Board of Directors makes the final decision on all awards.
The J. Allen Oakum Scholarship recipient will be selected from applicants and nominees who meet the following criteria:
- OELMA membership is preferred, but not required
- Is a permanent Ohio resident, who can demonstrate financial need
- Enrollment as a full-time or part-time student at an accredited library program, leading to school library media licensure and/or a library graduate degree
- Evidence of a commitment to a career in school librarianship
Applications should include the following materials:
- Completed online OELMA Scholarship & Awards Program application form
- Official transcript from the college or university in which the applicant is enrolled
- Photograph in .jpg or .gif format
- Application letter, which explains how the applicant meets scholarship selection criteria and provides evidence of the applicant’s commitment to a career in school librarianship
Late materials will not be accepted.
All application materials must be submitted to OELMA using the online application form by 5:00 p.m. on April 3rd.
You will be able to upload supporting materials to the online form.