The Intellectual Freedom Award recognizes Ohio school librarians and/or other Ohio educators who demonstrate support for the American Library Association’s principles of intellectual freedom. Award recipients exhibit a strong commitment to First Amendment values through the active promotion of -- and defense of -- the freedom to read and ALA's principles of intellectual freedom.
The Intellectual Freedom Award recipient receives a commemorative plaque. The honoree will be recognized during the Awards Program at OELMA's 2016 Annual Conference. The recipient’s name will be announced via OELMA’s E-mail list and posted on the Scholarship & Awards section of OELMA’s Web page.
OELMA’s Scholarship & Awards Committee is charged with reviewing applications for all Association awards. The Committee is comprised of a representative from each OELMA Region, the Immediate Past President, and the Scholarship and Awards Co-Chairs, who are appointed by the President. OELMA’s Board of Directors makes the final decision on all awards.
The Intellectual Freedom Award recipient will be selected from applicants and nominees who meet the following criteria:
- OELMA membership is preferred, but not required;
- Employed as an Ohio school librarian or in another Ohio educational role; and
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to First Amendment values through the active promotion of -- and defense of -- the freedom to read and ALA's principles of intellectual freedom.
Application packets should include the following materials:
- Completed OELMA Scholarship & Awards Program Application Form; and
- Nomination letter, providing specific evidence of the nominee’s active promotion of -- and defense of -- the freedom to read and ALA's principles of intellectual freedom.
Late materials will not be accepted.
All application materials must be submitted to the OELMA Office in a single packet or .pdf file. The following three submission methods may be used:
1.Hand-deliver award application materials to the OELMA Office by 5 p.m. April 1;
2. Mail award application materials. Award materials must be postmarked by 5 p.m. April 1;
3.Submit award application materials online at www.oelma.org by 5 p.m. April 1.
You will be able to upload supporting materials to the online form.